Establish a Supportive Care Clinic
Help us create the first stand-alone Supportive Care Clinic in the province. Supportive Care is a proven holistic approach to cancer care that goes beyond simple treatment. From mental health support and family counselling services to streamlining the patient experience, it’s the next evolution of comprehensive care.
- provide a safe space for patient and family counselling
- 14 private consulting rooms, six phone rooms and two meeting rooms (for group sessions)
- provide psychiatric and mental health support;
- will free up space in BC Cancer – Vancouver centre, streamlining treatment and care services for improved efficiency
- serve as a model and road map for BC Cancer’s additional five centres to create supportive care clinics of their own across B.C.
Progress Clinical Trials & Research
BC Cancer is at the forefront of ground-breaking clinical trials and research. From award-winning COVID-19 research to landmark discoveries in ovarian and breast cancer, donor impact continues to fuel improved patient outcomes and providing new treatment options for all British Columbians.
Clinical Trials & Research Priorities:
- fuel world-first clinical trials to advance vital research across all cancer areas
- empower scientists with resources and infrastructure to create new experimental initiatives
- extend access to trials and treatment options to families in remote areas
- shepherd the development of new and innovative drug treatments
Attract and Retain World-Leading Talent
Our experts are already among the best in the world. Now we want to expand our teams in Vancouver and across the province to help them go further. The more talent we support and attract, the faster we accelerate discoveries, and bring better treatments to patients everywhere in B.C.
Key Focus Areas:
- Train and grow the next generation of scientists and clinical researchers
- Create and expand awards and fellowship programs for new and established researchers and clinicians
- Establish chair positions
- Support our brilliant teams with the resources and tools they need to explore, launch clinical trials and solve complex problems
- Support collaboration with national and global partners
Support Innovation in Pancreatic Cancer Research
Pancreatic cancer is the fourth primary cause of death in Canada. Almost 7,000 Canadians are diagnosed with this cancer yearly. In order to improve pancreatic cancer outcomes, BC Cancer is launching new, international clinical trials and uncovering precision medicine solutions.
BC Cancer’s team of experts are:
- advancing chemotherapy research that could potentially define a new worldwide standard for early-stage pancreatic cancer treatment;
- developing strategies for earlier diagnoses that will result in better patient outcomes;
- investigating the genetic makeup of pancreatic cancer to uncover unique subtypes and design individualized therapies; and
- accelerating genetic profiling at diagnosis to increase prevention and early detection in families.
Increase Breast Cancer Research
Breast cancer is the most common cancer for B.C. women. Opportunities to improve breast cancer diagnosis and advance research are greater than ever before. Through BC Cancer’s life-giving research in Breast Cancer, thousands of women have restored health and better outcomes.
- advance B-PRECISE – B.C’s most comprehensive study of the evolution of breast cancer over time and treatment efficacy
- expand on the number of breast cancer clinical trials available for women in the Vancouver area
- create effective, lasting breast cancer solutions
- increase long-term survivorship for the most severe types of breast cancer – including Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
The science is catching up to our ambition
“There’s been a revolution in new cancer therapies. We’re at a time where we can match the best treatment for each individual patient.”
Dr. Dan Renouf
Medical Lead, BC Cancer — Vancouver
Co-Director, Pancreas Centre BC