We have the experts, the infrastructure and the opportunity to turn hope into reality. It starts right here, with all of us.
Support Our New Supportive Care Clinic
We have opened the first stand-alone Supportive Care Clinic in the province. Supportive Care is a proven holistic approach to cancer care that goes beyond simple treatment. From mental health support and family counselling services to streamlining the patient experience, it’s the next evolution of comprehensive care.
- provides a safe space for patient and family counselling
- includes 14 private consulting rooms, six phone rooms and two meeting rooms (for group sessions)
- provides psychiatric and mental health support;
- frees up space in BC Cancer – Vancouver centre, streamlining treatment and care services for improved efficiency
- serves as a model and road map for BC Cancer’s additional centres to create supportive care clinics of their own across B.C.
Progress Clinical Trials & Research
BC Cancer is at the forefront of ground-breaking clinical trials and research. From award-winning COVID-19 research to landmark discoveries in ovarian and breast cancer, donor impact continues to fuel improved patient outcomes and providing new treatment options for all British Columbians.
Clinical Trials & Research Priorities:
- fuel world-first clinical trials to advance vital research across all cancer areas
- empower scientists with resources and infrastructure to create new experimental initiatives
- extend access to trials and treatment options to families in remote areas
- shepherd the development of new and innovative drug treatments
Attract and Retain World-Leading Talent
Our experts are already among the best in the world. Now we want to expand our teams in Vancouver and across the province to help them go further. The more talent we support and attract, the faster we accelerate discoveries, and bring better treatments to patients everywhere in B.C.
Key Focus Areas:
- Train and grow the next generation of scientists and clinical researchers
- Create and expand awards and fellowship programs for new and established researchers and clinicians
- Establish chair positions
- Support our brilliant teams with the resources and tools they need to explore, launch clinical trials and solve complex problems
- Support collaboration with national and global partners
Support Innovation in Pancreatic Cancer Research
Pancreatic cancer is the fourth primary cause of death in Canada. Almost 7,000 Canadians are diagnosed with this cancer yearly. In order to improve pancreatic cancer outcomes, BC Cancer is launching new, international clinical trials and uncovering precision medicine solutions.
Key Research Initiatives:
- Expand the research team and attract more world-class specialists
- Innovation in early detection and effective treatment
- Provide comprehensive genetic testing and expand hereditary testing to better understand risk factors
- Increase the use of genomic tumour profiling to ensure each patient is matched with the best treatment for their disease
Support your community
Help B.C. patients receive the care they need with financial, travel, and resource support, regardless of where they call home. The Patient Relief Fund is essential to removing financial, geographical, and cultural barriers to equitable care in every region.
The Patient Relief Fund:
- Provides financial assistance via gas, grocery, and travel vouchers
- Helps cover costs like medical supplies, nutritional supplements, medications and dental care; and
- Addresses the gap in equitable care gap with a specific portion of funds going to Indigenous people facing cancer in Vancouver
Increase Breast Cancer Research
Breast cancer is the most common cancer for B.C. women. Opportunities to improve breast cancer diagnosis and advance research are greater than ever before. Through BC Cancer’s life-giving research in Breast Cancer, thousands of women have restored health and better outcomes.
- advance B-PRECISE – B.C’s most comprehensive study of the evolution of breast cancer over time and treatment efficacy
- expand on the number of breast cancer clinical trials available for women in the Vancouver area
- create effective, lasting breast cancer solutions
- increase long-term survivorship for the most severe types of breast cancer – including Triple Negative Breast Cancer.
To learn more about how you can support priorities in the Vancouver area, please contact Elissa Morrissette at email@example.com or 604.707.5992.
The science is catching up to our ambition
“There’s been a revolution in new cancer therapies. We’re at a time where we can match the best treatment for each individual patient.”
Dr. Dan Renouf
Medical Lead, BC Cancer — Vancouver
Co-Director, Pancreas Centre BC