As the holiday season approaches, a day dedicated to giving back emerges. This GivingTuesday, help transform cancer care in British Columbia by joining the world’s largest generosity movement.
What is GivingTuesday?
GivingTuesday was created in 2012 with a simple idea: encourage people to do good. Within a few short years, the concept has grown into a global movement with people from around the world participating in any way they can. Whether it’s making someone smile, helping a stranger, or making a charitable donation to support vital community work, every act of generosity counts and everyone has something to give.
The impact of your donation
By giving to the BC Cancer Foundation, you help create a future free from the fear of cancer. Every donation counts, and with the support of our donor community, we have created incredible momentum, evidenced by the Foundation’s many transformative investments that have brought cancer care closer to home in communities across B.C., such as:
- $5.3 million raised by donors on Vancouver Island to support the provinces third publically funded PET/CT scanner in Victoria. A year later, the equivalent was raised in the Interior for a fourth donor-funded matching at BC Cancer – Kelowna.
- $2 million raised by donors across the province to support BC Cancer’s province-wide lung cancer screening program, eligible to high-risk people at 36 sites across the province.
- A campaign seeking to raise $2 million to support a precision radiation clinical trial that is expected to reduce patient side effects and increase the chance of a complete remission for people with metastatic cancer.
- $30 million to support a second BC Cancer centre in Surrey to accommodate the city’s ballooning population.
These investments have a direct impact on patients like Noel Schacter, who was the first patient to participate in the original CAR T-cell clinical trial at BC Cancer’s Deeley Research Centre (DRC). CAR T-cell therapy uses genetically engineered copies of a patient’s own immune cells to attack and destroy cancer cells.
Ways to get involved
You can fuel BC Cancer’s life-saving research this GivingTuesday. Here are some of the ways you can get involved:
- Make a one-time gift now
- Become a monthly donor
- Host a fundraiser
- Participate in a signature fundraising event: Workout to Conquer Cancer, Cypress Challenge or Tour de Cure
This GivingTuesday through to December 5, your donation will be matched by a member of our Board of Directors who wishes to remain anonymous, to help BC Cancer go even further.